Consigliato da 8 persone del luogo ·
Consigli della gente del posto
Mustafa Kemal Ataturk was born in this house in Apostolou Pavlou St in 1881. In 1935 the Thessaloniki city council decided to give the building to the Turkish State which afterwards converted it into a museum dedicated to the life and achievements of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk.
Mustafa Kemal Atatürk was born in 1881, in a three-storey building of Apostolou Pavlou Street 75. In 1935, the building was donated by the municipality of Thessaloniki in the Turkish State, which converted it into a museum dedicated to Kemal Atatürk. The building was repaired in 1981 and repainted…
Kemal Ataturk' house is now visitable for all Tuesday to Sunday 10:00-17:00.
Ataturk Museum is housed in the building where Kemal Ataturk, the “father of Turks”, was born and is located behind the Turkish Consulate.
Attività uniche nelle vicinanze
Alloggi nelle vicinanze
Altri luoghi consigliati dalla gente del posto
“Agia Sophia is one of the most impressive Byzantine churches of Thesaloniki. It is a very beautiful “Domed Basilica” style temple with an imposing architecture, beautiful wall paintings and elaborate mosaics.”
- Consigliato da 33 persone del luogo
“You simply can’t travel to Thessaloniki and not visit the White Tower. Located by the seafront and housing a museum exhibition as well, it offers a fantastic city view and valuable historical facts.”
- Consigliato da 107 persone del luogo
“ The Museum for the Macedonian Struggle is a historical museum. It presents the local history and cultural identity of Macedonia, keeping alive the memory of the struggles of Hellenism and highlighting the role of ordinary people who left indelible traces in a diverse cultural heritage. With the tours one discovers a lesser known but ideologically charged chapter of the Greek and Balkan history of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. After the 1978 earthquake, which caused considerable damage to the neo-classical mansion that once housed the Greek Consulate General in Thessaloniki, the building was restored and given to the "Friends of the Museum of the Macedonian Struggle" as a repository for all manner of relics and material documenting this significant chapter in Greece's modern history. The idea of the Museum, however, was not new: in April 1917, not long after Macedonia had been integrated into Greece, the Provisional Government of Premier Venizelos enacted order 2134 establishing a "Macedonian Museum", although with a much broader scope. This Museum was to assemble all the considerable archaeological finds marking the various historical and artistic periods through which Macedonia has passed, from antiquity to the end of the Ottoman era. The process of creating the museum was continued in the 1940s by the Macedonian Fraternal Association for Education, while after 1950 the initiative passed to a group of private individuals, prominent public figures and descendants of famous Makedonomachoi. In the meantime the Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki had been founded and the establishment of another museum for the Byzantine period had been decided. This meant that what was needed was a more specialised institution, devoted exclusively to the period of the Macedonian Struggle. And so in December 1965 the Prime Minister of Greece, Stephanos Stephanopoulos signed the order providing for the founding of the Museum of the Macedonian Struggle in the building of the former Consulate General of Greece in Thessaloniki. The vision became reality when on 27 October 1982 our Museum was formally opened by the President of the Hellenic Republic, Constantine Karamanlis. The Board of Directors ”
- Consigliato da 3 persone del luogo
“A must-see! The setting is exceptional and the place is full of Byzantine history & interesting exhibits that await you!”
- Consigliato da 45 persone del luogo
“The church of Agios Dimitrios, patron saint of Thessaloniki, is located at the centre of the city, on Agios Dimitrios street, over the Ancient Agora and consists undoubtedly its most important Early Christian monument, both due to religious and historical reasons. The early Christian basilica was built in the area where in the Roman Period was a complex of public baths. According to traditions, it was in these baths that Agios Dimitrios was imprisoned and martyred with a spear. At this location, after the Edict of Milan regarding religious tolerance in 313, a small church was built over the saint’s tomb. Soon believers from all over started to arrive and pray at the saint’s tomb in order to help them heal from various diseases. Among the pilgrims was the Prefect of Illyricum Leontius, who after being healed and to show his gratitude to Agios Dimitrios built a new, more impressive church in its place. They transferred the saint’s tomb there from the baths and they placed it in a ciborium in the middle aisle. Today the renovated marble ciborium is at the northern aisle. The 5th century church was destroyed by an earthquake in 620 and was rebuilt in the middle of the 7th century according to the standards of the older church. The church was an important pilgrimage centre throughout the Byzantine Period and Agios Dimitrios became the patron saint of the Balkans. In 1493, after the occupation of Thessaloniki by the Turks, the church was converted into a mosque (Kasimiye Camii). Christian worship was limited then at a small area on the northwestern of the church, where they made the saint’s cenotaph. It was returned in Christian hands in 1912, after the liberation of the city. However, in the great fire in 1917 the church was largely destroyed. Its restoration lasted until 1949. ”
- Consigliato da 44 persone del luogo