Hobbit House is somewhat of a local landmark. It was built in 1929 by a Polish contractor who advertised it as "The House Without Corners" because of its coved ceilings, rounded corners and unusual "rolled" roof---all of which make it reminiscent of an English cottage. Nevertheless architecturally it is classified as a bungalow and has made an appearance in American Bungalow Magazine. In 1930 the newly constructed house was sold to George Keegan, the Notre Dame basketball coach at the time. George went on to win the National Championship in 1936 and after he died, his widow remarried Aaron Huguenard, a prominent local attorney who later became president of the Indiana Bar. Over the years it has continued to be a much loved home filled with books, art and antiques---an ideal venue for parties both indoors and out---or simply reading and being at peace
Located across the street from a bus stop to downtown it is an easy bike ride along the River Walk to Notre Dame and Saint Mary's. It is also in close proximity to the airport and South Shore train/Coach bus line to Chicago.
Owner/host has lived in South Bend for over fifteen years and is full of ideas and suggestions about where to eat, shop and go in the greater area including the lovely shore towns along Lake Michigan.
Unlike Havas Haz, Hobbit House's little brother next door owner/host may be on premises during guest's stay.