We are certainly sadden but not surprised at all with this review by Kevin.
We appreciate this opportunity to replay to his angry comments:
1. This is an Air BnB, a small family run place, not a 24 hour hotel. He demanded that I be there when they arrived and when I suggested a later time so that I could return from my job, he refused. I took an unpaid day off to be there when he arrived, with tea and biscuits ready. They asked for doubles of everything. The parking is where we park our own cars. It is in the countryside. When it rains, the ground is usually wet.
2. We had a problem with the pellet boiler and we honestly informed him in advance. We purchased powerful electric heaters that were on maximum all day and night to keep the rooms warm at 21 degrees. The boiler was repaired the next day and was fully operational even before they abruptly left the house. The extra blankets he demanded were left on the chair untouched.
3. The evening of his arrival we invited them into our home for dinner, as we often do in this house. We had a friendly chat over La Rioja wine (no charge of course). We stayed up past midnight, even though my husband had to work before 6 am the next morning. No issues or problems about the house were raised.
4. The breakfast next morning was plentiful, even if not up to his five star standards. This is a family B and B. We often make our own bread, serve our homemade jams, and cook with farm eggs. He didn´t complain about the bread and cheese while eating doubles.
5. He had already decided to leave immediately after breakfast. He complained of the cold, even though the mechanic was already working on fixing the boiler. We offered to refund the remaining part of his booking, but he refused, He insisted that we pay him more than what we received for the entire booking. He wanted not only a free night, a free dinner, a free breakfast, but also wanted to be paid extra for the expensive city hotel that he went to. He threatened to write terrible reviews about us everywhere on social media, knowing that a small place like ours depends on good reviews. The issue was raised to AirBnB complaints board.
6. We are a family run place. We have jobs, but we run the BnB because we love meeting travelers from all over the world. We have a long list of high recommendations. This negative experience of someone who wants to ruin a family business to get a free week holiday. We are confident that we run a healthy, family business. We trust our customers with friendship and we love what we do. We hope people who read this review will understand that social media used as a weapon is harmful to everyone.
Kevin, shame on you.