Architectural award-winning, 100-year old, renovated house in the best neighbourhood in Ottawa -- "The Glebe." It's a quiet residential downtown neighbourhood that is five minutes from the canal, bike paths, and shopping (including Whole Foods). The house is large, sunny, kid-friendly and has been featured in an architectural magazine.
Our house is beautiful combination of old meets new: The house is from 1910 but parts have been completely renovated in a style that marries the modern to the charm of the original structure. We live in the house with our two kids, but we're often away and like the house to be enjoyed by others. The bedrooms are as follows:
1) Master bedroom: king bed (which is low to the floor), lots of windows (may be too many windows for some people since it was once a sunroom); bathroom down the hall on the second floor
2) Kid's room: twin bed with a couch for a second kid if desired. This bedroom is right across from the master bedroom.
3) Third floor: We use this space (pictured in the photos) as an office space but there is also a couch that pulls out into a double bed. The mattress is thin but fine. There is also a tiny room with a twin futon on the floor off the main area.
4) Guest room in the basement (pictured in photos): Very comfortable queen bed. Renovated bathroom right next to the bedroom (pictured in photos).
5) Alternate guest room on first floor (pictured in photos): queen bed with a good futon mattress. This room also has a piano for anyone who plays. BUT this room is also not as private as the others; it is semi-attached to the living room (but not accessible from the living room) and close to the kitchen. There is a powder room on the first floor.
A few things to note:
We have cable tv, wifi internet, Netflix and Apple TV.
Guests are welcome to use anything in the kitchen: tea, coffee, spices, jams, etc.
There are two parking spots.
We have a dog (a sheltie) and so people with allergies should be aware of this.
We prefer to rent to 5 people or fewer but will consider more in some cases.
Guests will have access to bikes, our garden, porch, washer/dryer, many varieties of coffee makers (including Nespresso), a six-burner Bertazzoni stove and oven, internet, piano, trampoline, etc.
We try to ensure that guests have all the information they need to make their stay enjoyable. We will always try to be available to answer any questions.
Our house is five minutes walking distance from cafés, restaurants, shops, two movie theatres (one multiplex and another another is a wonderful repertory cinema), and many parks. It is also less than a five minute walk from the beautiful Ottawa canal and a few seconds to great skating on the pond by our house. It is a very kid friendly area.
We are close to the Bank street buses as well as the canal bike paths and jogging paths.
Please note that from Sept to June our place is generally only available on weekends and holidays, but there are some exceptions. There is a two-night minimum stay requirement.
DIRECTIONS: Please note that GPSs will often take you to the wrong place (about a block away). The airbnb map is accurate or ask us for more accurate directions if you'd like a print description.
Please also note that this is a non-smoking house.